Friday, January 17, 2014

We learned about the letter "Oo" this week. Each child made his/her own Octopus and designed it by putting dots on the legs - and some children put as many dots as they could every place else.  They had a lot of fun making them. As we are going through our phonics I see the children understanding well the letter sounds, however, I see the some children still struggling with their letters and identifying them.  So this week I will help those who need a little extra help in their letters.  We are just about done learning the months of the year and the kids in class are naming them very well.  I even had them stand up when it was their birthday month and that made it a lot funner for them to understand the concept.

We have a new teacher with us until about April.  Her name is Emily Knowles and is an intern from BYU-I.   She is currently from Texas and has a 1 year old baby girl along with her husband who is attending school also  Because of her schedule she has chosen to be in the Monday/Wednesday 3-4 year old class and Tuesday/Thursday both 4-5 year old classes.  The children are adjusting pretty well and are getting use to two teachers now.  I felt it would help each child more now as I can work more individually with just a few children who are struggling. Because I knew Emily was going to be coming and because a few children have moved away I have added 5 new children since November.  The children who started in August are doing so good.  I am so proud of them. They are happy and trying hard to do their best in what I teach them.  As I have talked to a few parents though, I do have a couple of students who are having a difficult time listening and respecting others around them. That is why I am here to help them learn and develop positive qualities to help them as they enter kindergarten.  I have decided to change my curriculum a little bit because of this, which will only be a more positive approach in trying to help them succeed which in turn will be awesome for all of the children.

No school January 20 and 21rst.  I do apologize.  I was not going to take the 21rst day off, but one of the parents told me Madison School District is out both days and felt like with a 4 day weekend you may have family plans with older sibblings out of school so I cancelled.

January 22 and 23, please have your child wear his/her Pjs and bring 1 show-n-tell!  We are going to start the letter "Pp" and start making our puppets.



0 comments:

Post a Comment