Friday, March 22, 2013

The Letter "U" was an interesting letter to teach this week.  (under) the table, shoe is (untied), (unlock) the door and of course, (umpire).  I told the children that I had the opportunity to pitch professional when I was younger but choose not to.  I explained to them what an umpire did and they said  "that wouldn't be a fun job getting hit".
The 4-5 year old classes learned meanings and definitions like before-after; same-different; patterns of shapes like circle, circle, square and then repeat.  Not only did they have to identify the shape but also the pattern.  I was very proud of each of them as they learned and their eyes brightened.  These concepts are a little too hard for the children I teach in my 3-4 year old class.  I always touch things lightly for them but in a way that is not overwhelming.  They loved doing the pics I had of the concept of different and same.  These  3 pictures that are the same and 1 different. Again, they have to identify which pic is different.  When teaching children you go by their ages to teach a principle.  In other words, you have 3-4 minutes to teach or 4-5 minutes depending on their ages.  I try very hard to play games that are active games that they are still learning at. If you keep things moving it keeps their thinking levels going. Last week the 3-4 children left preschool saying they were so tired as I opened the door.  Happy, smiling, but tired is exactly what I know they need.

We are getting ready for next months kindergarten screenings.  I have explained to the kids that their parent will take them to the school they will be attending for kindergarten next fall.  When they go inside they will be asked some questions that will be fun to answer. To be polite and listen carefully to the questions and give  the person asking your" best answer". I want to help them feel at ease and not worry about it.  The screening is just a placement test for their classes in the fall. The scores go: 15 to 20 is group 1; 10 to 15 group 2; and anything lower then that is group 3.  Some children freeze when taking tests.  Try to help them be relaxed and ready to go the day of the screening -that is all you can do. I know they will do incredible!!! By the way, in the middle of this by little Brinkley said to me. "Mrs. Dogg ett, Mrs. Doggett...... I said yes Brinkley, she answered "I Love You".  These children are just so wonderful!    


0 comments:

Post a Comment